Benefits Buzz

HHS Releases Public Insurance Exchange Enrollment Numbers

Posted on January 15th, 2014

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) published a report earlier this week with details about enrollment numbers and other information as it relates to state and federal insurance exchanges. Below is a list of some key information that was included in the report.

  • State and federal exchanges had a combined 53 million web site visits and took more than 11 million calls between October 1, 2013 and December 28, 2013. 
  • Approximately 2.1 million people enrolled in coverage through state and federal insurance exchanges for a Jan. 1 effective dateThis number includes individuals that have not yet paid their insurance premiums and who may be given a later effective date as a result. 
  • The state of California had the largest number of enrollments with nearly 500,000. The state of Illinois had approximately 61,000 enrollments. 
  • 79% of individuals that enrolled in coverage were eligible for financial assistance with the new cost sharing and/or premium subsidies. 
  • 89% of applications were completed online with the remaining 11% completed over the phone, through a paper application or with an in-person assister (i.e. Navigator). 
  • Silver plans appear to be the most popular option accounting for 60% of all individual enrollments. Bronze plans came in second making up 19% of all enrollments. Catastrophic plans made up the lowest number with only 1% of all enrollments. 
  • 33% of applicants were between the ages of 55-64 making up the largest segment of enrollment by age. Individuals between the ages of 18-34 (shown as two separate age brackets in the report), and whom are considered vital to the success of the healthcare reform law, accounted for 24% of all enrollments. 
  • 54% of all applicants were female and 46% of all applicants were male. 
  • An additional 1.6 million people were provided a Medicaid determination/assessment. This doesn’t mean that these individuals were enrolled in Medicaid. This means they were directed to contact their state Medicaid office for a final eligibility determination. The report does not provide any information about the actual numbers of enrollments into the Medicaid program.  

View the official HHS report >>

Join our mailing list or click here to stay updated on the latest healthcare reform news with Flexible Benefit Service Corporation (Flex).

 

Note: The materials contained within this communication are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal or tax advice.

Tag Cloud

Archives

Enter Your Email